Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dresser to drawer to a burden box.


At work last week, I had to take apart a lovely piece of furniture from the 1930's transition into Art Deco. I was not directed to take it apart the way it was finely put together.

I had to smash the hardy bits with a hammer and stomp the beams with foot. Exhilarated at first then turned into an earnest guilt. I really was taking part in the destruction of design. Don't tell the craftsman please.

I don't remember much of this long dresser other than its stumpy little legs and its antique knobs. However, in some sort of reconciliation and commemoration, I saved one of the drawers.

It is to become a contribution to Burden Box and a new piece of art. And that makes me kind of feel like a masochist turned doctor/plastic surgeon.


Morale: Donate your furniture or recycle it. Or just give it to me.

1 comment: